The USGA Handicap System
For those of you that haven’t fallen asleep as we discuss the Club Compliance Check list, let me congratulate you! We’ve made it through the first four of the seventeen topics that must be adhered to in order for us to be able to issue you a handicap index:
1. Meet the USGA definition of a golf club?
2. Have a Handicap Committee composed mostly of Members and chaired by a Member?
3. Make it possible for a player to record the correct USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating with each posted score from every set of tees?
4. Require the posting of all acceptable scores?
5. Require the use of USGA procedures to adjust hole scores before posting
6. Require that nine-hole scores be posted?
7. Insist that the Rules of Golf be followed?
8. Follow the National Revision Schedule and posting season of the authorized golf association having jurisdiction in the region?
9. Have a representative from the golf club complete an annual club compliance and education assessment?
10. Perform computations and adjustments in accordance with the USGA Handicap Formula?
11. Make current scoring records and a Handicap Index listing of all Members readily available for inspection by others?
12. Reduce or increase a Handicap Index of any player whose Handicap Index does not reflect the player’s potential ability?
13. Notify an authorized golf association when permanent changes have been made to the golf course so that the association can issue a new USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating?
14. Include the letter “L” after local handicaps, which exceed the USGA maximum limits of 36.4 for men and 40.4 for women?
15. Utilize the current USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating issued by an authorized golf association?
16. Have a representative from all new golf clubs participate in a USGA Handicap System Seminar (whether conducted by the USGA or an authorized golf association? Including passing a test exhibiting knowledge about the System?
17. Have a signed license agreement in place with a local authorized golf association or the USGA prior to issuing a Handicap Index?
You’ve survived this most boring of topics! I hope everyone had a great 4th of July and I promise to lighten it up next week!